Scans

I scanned in the first five pages from one of the journals, one from 1945, but got slightly worried about the front cover ripping off, so I stopped, but I'm going to do more (very carefully) soon, I think. The pages themselves scanned really nicely, and really give a feel for the texture and colour of the original, with the creases in the paper and folds at the edge of pages. I tried them out on watercolour style photo paper, which gives the pages a good weight, and then with normal printer paper, which doesn't feel quite as special, but still reproduces the pages well.

Me stopping because of the pages ripping brings up an interesting issue; do you allow the original to possible be damaged, to preserve it? and as a large question for the brief, is it better to simply accept that all objects have their time in the world, and at some point they either get lost or damaged. I think it's kind of interesting parallel with prolonging human life, whether the quality of life is better or not. I guess with objects it's more about preserving than prolonging.

Any way, slightly off topic. I think while scanning is good, it doesn't exactly work for a project, by itself, which wasn't the intention. but it was an experiment.


No comments: