Modelling Week: Day One






I have quite a lot to add here, so this is going to come in a few posts. We had a week of modelling and this was the first day, which was traditional modelling materials, like card, paper, wire etc. Initially we had a talk from Pete Marigold, who was helping us for the day, about his work which was really interesting. I liked his use of found objects, but also he'd done a project creating objects which he then had to produce a history or mythology about. His objects were tools that he claimed had been invented by way of cargo cult after a ship crashed during a storm and the local people plundered it. He used wikipedia and inserted his objects, complete with images etc onto the page on cargo cult claiming that the tribes had been able to create electro magnets for various uses. Peter said that he had to keep verifying his entry as the moderators of wikipedia kept sending him questions but he was able to keep them convinced for a few months that this was an actual legitmete thing. It was pretty interesting, especially as he managed to keep people convinced by choosing to insert the information into the original wiki page so that it was given more legitimacy than a page by itself.

I found the process of modelling very useful, especially as there was a limited time in which to produce objects which communicated the essence of my project. I was able to model some objects which I had been drawing for a while which started to lead into other things as well. I realised that when I boiled my project down, I was really interested in the props used for debate and how people communicate during debates.








No comments: