Onkar Kular

On Monday Onkar Kular gave a talk, which was perfect timing as he was someone I was interested in after I'd read about him in the catalogue for Rosario's show, along with Dash MacDonald. His work is really interesting but it seemed like he didn't always follow through on things, he'd always be moving onto the next project even though he seemed to be unearthing some really fascinating stuff. Anyway, it was helpful, and I got a fair amount out of it, including the idea of the designer as a manipulator which I'm quite interested having already entered into a level of manipulation with the debate society.

Someone also asked him about how he views documentation as process within his work. I wish I'd written a little more about his answer because documentation is something I'm going to have to really actively engage in once the society gets off the ground. I made a note about performance, design [outcome], documentation and participants [I suppose here it's willing participants and unwitting participants.]. I guess they all kind of inform each other in Onkar's work, but they're four points which are really going to unpin a lot of my work over the new few months.

No comments: