Modelling Week: Day Three/Four


For the third and half of the fourth day [for presentation] the brief was to cook out project. I wanted initially to play with the idea of food that needs to be debated through, eaten from two sides or something similar but after a short conversation with Jack I came to the idea of using something chewy or hard to eat as a way of creating 'protected time', time within a debate being something that I've been previously interested in. With this in mind I made toffee.









This was the recipe:

300g / 12oz Demerarar sugar
100g / 4oz butter
2 level tablespoons of golden syrup
1 level tablespoon of black treacle
4 tablespoons of water

I added more treacle to one batch which made it darker and far more bitter. I presented the larger, stickier chunks in a box labelled Protected Time, the idea being that while one person was eating the toffee, they wouldn't be able to reply to their opponent. Rosario suggested the idea of a meal where one person had all the hard to chew foods so that the other was able to keep talking the whole way through, which I really liked, maybe designing objects to be used throughout the day that keep your 'opponent' quiet to deal with every day debates people have with each other.

I wrapped the left over chunks up with debating points so that if one person took a piece of toffee, there would four different debates, formed, each with an opposition and proposition team.


[from Liam's flickr]

No comments: