Modelling Week: Day Two


Finally updating here.

The second day involved constructing the project through fabric. I wanted to develop the idea of the communication devices, like the double megaphone, to construct spaces of debate. It turned into an enforced space of debate as I began making, with Jimmy encouraging me to just go big and make a full scale thing after I was attempting to make a small scale version. The basic idea was to have some kind of fabric tunnel connecting two fabric head covers so the two debators are forced to maintain eye contact and constant interaction, be it just staying close enough to each other so the fabric remains comfortable. I continued to consider this idea of enforced debate and also how people debate using body language, hand gestures, props so I decided to remove hands altogether from the equation by attaching a strip of fabric to the back of each hood which then bound the debators hands behind their backs, this reducing the debate down to bare essentials. Unfortunately, because of the time restraints, I rushed to finish it, and sewed up the connection piece of fabric in a way that meant the debators couldn't see each other, though they were still bound together and could hear each other. Though this was an unexpected outcome, it seemed to produce a more interesting space of debate than the original idea.

No comments: